Performing at Senior Living Communities

Over the years, I have performed at numerous senior living communities in the Denver area.  Senior living communities are frequently divided up into four sections that house residents with separate needs: independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing, and memory care.  At some facilities, I have performed at the separate living quarters and at others for residents who come from various living facilities.  I am frequently astonished at the retention of memory elderly people have for the music they grew up with, even those diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  I have built up my music playlist based on customer requests and have added fantastic music dating from the 1940's and 50's.  As time marches on with new residents moving into senior living communities, I have started to look at music dating from the 1960's, a rich period of acoustic guitar music and live performance.  In my teaching studio, I have enjoyed teaching retirees who find themselves in the enviable position of finally having the time to devote to their hobbies.  At senior living communities, I have observed a similar dynamic where the residents are fully present and take the time to enjoy the experience of listening to music without the hustle and bustle of pre-retirement life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition from Elementary School Teaching to Freelance Performance

Wedding Ceremony at the Butterfly Pavilion

Third Annual FMTA Farmers' Market Festival